Farheen tells us how technology has enabled and empowered women, in the weekly column, exclusively in Different Truths.
When technology, innovations, and women collaborate they create wonders. Wonders that Mothers of Technology have contributed towards today’s Information Technology (IT) sector and one can thank them for their efforts.
There have been many women who have contributed to the world of technology; a long list of innovations and inventions, but a handful of them are aware of these stalwarts of technology. A plethora of them is even on the assumption that women never invented or contributed towards technology.
Women have always been assumed as anti-technology, therefore, the stats can reveal the actual reality.
Considering all the factors and irrespective of whether women are participating in building technology or becoming technology evangelists, the reality is women in the last two decades have embraced technology in their day-to-day lives substantially.
It won’t be a hyperbole if I say, technology has been successful in wooing women and, in the current setup, and the most intense courtship is between women and technology. The marriage is indeed long lasting.
There are a few companies who have taken up initiatives for changing lives of women for better. Technology for women has become a benchmark. The companies are looking at wooing women for buying their products because of simple reasons, such as women have the buying power now. In addition, they can influence decisions of many around them.
Let’s look at the list of companies who built products that have made entry into the women’s world for good.
The few of the innovation that should get women accolades are:
Coel – The Grameen Intel’s smart bangle is a device for ensuring maternal wellness. This has earned a “best friend” tag for women who are on the family way. It can be classified as jewellery, but its sole purpose is to become a life-saving companion for women who are preggers.
Its features will sweep you off the floor.
- It provides 80 audio pregnancy wellness tips (MAMA messages)
- It can detect indoor air pollution (CO sensing), particularly carbon monoxide.
- It is water resistant bangle because it has been made from high quality of durable plastic
- It sends local language audio and LED alerts
- Its battery lasts up to ten months
We need to wait for this product to be launched in the markets soon.
SAFERTM smart jewellery: This neat, bling and impressive pendant is a Bluetooth-enabled gadget that keeps you safe. This gadget works when it collaborates with the Safer app on your smartphone. So, ladies here is the jewellery piece you were always looking for, at least since a decade.
Don’t get me wrong when you read the next entry. It’s not that only women need to make rotis, but it is a boon for the independent women these days who want to eat homemade rotis.
Rotimatic, this is next in line. A roti maker is a big relief to most Indian women. This appliance measures the flour, mixes, kneads, flattens, cooks and puffs fresh homemade rotis and wraps at a touch of a button.
It seems like a magic, indeed, because it is mess free, and economical experience. This appliance has put in use the patented AI technology.
Today’s phones are quite like having your own personal assistant to help make your life as a woman little easier.
Applications, aka apps are a must-have on our smartphones these days. Life without apps is close to impossible because it’s an easy-to-use and quick way of fetching the information or getting some work done.
Apps have come a long way and it’s not wrong to say that apps are girl’s best friend.
There are umpteen apps available and one can download the apps based on your requirement.
In the current scenario, according to me, the following types of apps are proving to be a blessing for women:
- Women safety apps: When the increasing cases of crime against women become a routine, then one must keep herself safe. Some of the safety apps that come to women’s’ rescue are bSafe, Safetipin, Kitestring, Raksha, Bugle, Bangalore Police SOS app, et al.
- Menstrual period tracker apps: To ensure that you do not miss keeping a tab on your period, most of these apps send you a reminder two days in advance. Some of the names are Period Tracker, My Cycles, MonthPal, Pink Pad and others. You can review these apps to find the most suitable one for yourself.
Besides tracking your period, these apps also manage events, such as upcoming periods, symptoms, medicines and others. It allows you to add personal remarks as well, helping for any symptoms like hot flashes, headaches, acne, PMS and so on. It also gives a pill reminder feature.
- Identifying unknown callers’ apps: Truecaller is the most important app that should dwell on your smartphone. This app shows details of unknown callers, accurate in most cases. The built-in dialer in Truecaller lets you dial friends using Messenger, Skype, Viber and WhatsApp directly, making it easy to manage the contact list both on social media and phonebook.
It feels great when technology leads us to our destination. Technology has made our lives easier and using technology substantially has given us the freedom to not make notes, not feel insecure while we were out, and not schedule time for other tasks. The time-consuming days have gone past, and we live in the world now ruled by gadgets, apps, and in one word – technology.
Photos sourced by the author.
#Technology #jewellery #TechnologyAndWomen #TechnologyEmpoweringWomen #WomenSafetyApp #BenchmarkOfTechnology #DifferentTruths
Farheen Viquas is a Senior Technical Editor/Writer working in Bangalore, India. She has worked as a Technical Writer/Editor, Mentor/Coach, Language Consultant, Information Tester, English Trainer, and Transcriber. When not at work, she loves to cook, read, write poetry and prose, listen to music, bake cakes, fish keeping, and embroider. She is also a stained-glass enthusiast.