Latest posts by Nyra Banerjee (see all)
- Dainty Feet need Loving Care! - December 15, 2016
- Eye Makeup Enhances Your Beauty - December 2, 2016
- My Tips for Lustrous, Shining andHealthy Hair Care - November 11, 2016
Nyra, an upcoming cine star, our Beauty expert, gives invaluable tips for hair care. She tells us how to take care of dry and oily hair, how dandruff and hair fall might be arrested. Learn the secrets from a female actor, in the regular column on beauty, exclusively in Different Truths.
Regarding my shining mane, I am quite conservative in my care. My hair is silky and rests on the dry side if I don’t take adequate care. I have straight, soft hair which gets entangled easily.
My favourite shampoos are beer shampoo for the glaze it provides and ginger shampoo to eradicate dandruff! Also, you can rub Savlon or lime on the scalp and keep for 15 mins and wash off to cure dandruff.
For my Dry Hair
Head massage once a week with any of the following:
- Hibiscus (shoe-flower) oil
- Almond oil
- Egg yolk
- Multani mitti pack – soak Multani mitti in a cupful of water. When it melts to a paste, add two tbsps. warm coconut oil and apply on scalp. Leave for about half an hour. Wash off with water.
- A little honey mixed in water in the last rinses helps moisturise a dry scalp.
- Egg and honey
- Sandal paste to ease irritation on scalp
- Curd and honey – also cleanses along with moisturising.
Tips for Elderly
Many of my elders like the typical Indian black hair so to keep hair black, massage with coconut oil. Never pluck out grey hair but you can cut it little above the root.
My Hair Treatments for the Glamorous look
As I have straight hair I don’t iron it, but only blow dry for a bouncy look. When I need to curl my hair for a role, I occasionally use Bblunt hair voluminiser to give a fluffy look.
Sulphate free shampoos are best to retain hair colour.
Be careful that your eyebrow colour and hair colour complement each other.
To Remove Oiliness
Though I have hair on the drier side, oiliness in scalp does creep up when I happen to take too much of hot tea or coffee.
As a remedy, mix a decoction of marigold flowers with 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and apply in hair. Leave overnight and wash off.
Acidity, stomach problems, less intake of water, too many antibiotics for long, no massaging or washing, tension, lack of sleep, headaches, irritability cause loss of precious hair.
- Mix shredded white gourd with shikakai, ritha and brahmi seeds and add to boiling coconut oil. Massage with this. Keep for 48 hours.
- Boil used tea leaves in water for 15 minutes and wash hair with this instead of ordinary water
Pack for Falling Hair
Mix amla (gooseberry), henna, brahmi, neem, sandal powders. Add water. Apply gently. Avoid heavy massage. Wash before it dries.
Maintaining healthy hair
For healthy hair, an herbal homemade shampoo is best:
- Mix powdered triphala, shikakai, sandal and ritha. Make a paste and apply to hair. Keep for about 40 minutes and wash off
- To make it a health pack, you can add camphor to the above shampoo
- Regular combing
- Diet must include high protein, almonds, and iron-rich foods to maintain hair growth.
- Minerals like phosphorus, zinc and vitamins A and B are also recommended.
- Regular trimming to avoid split ends
- Heat protector is a must. Always wash hair pre and post a hairdo as sweat stuck in scalp damages hair even further
- Before blow drying hair and after hair wash it is good to apply Moroccan serum
- Use a scarf to cover hair on bike rides and auto-rickshaws
- Always go for natural hair colours – coppers. Lesser the better.
Pix from the author.